The Celtic Music Association
of Madison, Wisconsin
Always check the celticmadison.org Events Calendar first!
- Dance Events are posted on our Dance page.
- Regular Celtic Music Events in Madison
If you really never get your fill of live music, you'll have to come by Madison's public sessions:
- Every Wednesday (update as of November 2016): Madison's longstanding weekly advanced/intermediate Irish session continues at the Brocach on the Capitol Square, with a guaranteed anchor, fiddler Alan Ng (or a great substitute), starting promptly at 8:00 pm.
- Occasional(?) Wednesdays: about 15 miles southeast, out in Stoughton, the Viking Brewpub on Main Street hosts a session, 7pm.
- Here are some excellent tips on how traditional Irish music sessions work, from a Belfast-based Web site.
- The Shamrock Club also maintains an Irish music and dance calendar for the Milwaukee area and for all of Wisconsin.
- For sessions outside of Madison, see the regional links below.
In Print - Infrequent
The Celtic Music Association publishes a free, occasional newsletter, dubbed Celtic Madison. You may add yourself to our mailing list by e-mailing your name and street address to firstname.lastname@example.org. See archives of old newsletters below.
Via E-Mail - More Up-to-Date
We also send out the newsletter via e-mail, which you can choose to receive instead of, or in addition to the printed newsletter. This group of subscribers also receives alerts when any major Celtic music events are happening in Madison (on average, less than once a month). To be added to our e-mail list, please send your e-mail address to email@example.com. Don't worry, we do not release our mailing list to anyone else.
Past Web-ized newsletters: (older archived issues may not meet current Web Content Accessibility Guidelines)
The Celtic Music Association is a group of unpaid volunteers which primarily organizes concerts by traditional musicians from Ireland, Scotland, Brittany, and Wales. For over 20 years, CMA has brought several acts per year to Madison, ranging from lesser-known gems like Máire O'Keeffe to big names such as The Tannahill Weavers and Altan. We are nominally (although far from exclusively) run by students and faculty of UW-Madison, and therefore qualify to register as a Student Organization at the UW. We also actively support Madison's local Celtic dance and music culture.
CMA does not have a formal hierarchy of officers. Whoever is willing to take on the responsibility of a task gets to be the contact person for that area!
- Booking: If you are a touring band or agent interested in a gig in Madison, give Bob Newton a ring at (608) 219-2009 or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Web site: If you have a suggestion for or a comment about any part of the celticmadison.org Web site, send an e-mail to Alan Ng at email@example.com (use net instead of nospam).
- Free newsletter: see above.
- Donations to CMA are gratefully accepted and will make our continued existence easier by helping us cover the many expenses of booking and presenting traditional artists, publishing the free newsletter, and renting this Web server. You can also help the whole community by helping us keep ticket prices at an accessible level. Contact treasurer Craig Heilman at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail a check payable to "Celtic Music Association" to Celtic Music Association, 7500 Paoli Road, Verona, WI 53593. We do not yet have 501(c)3 tax-free status, but your assistance will do just the same amount of good anyway!
- Madison's Celtic musicians
- Other Madison-area Celtic music links
- Madison-area Celtic dance links
- Madison-area Celtic culture links